Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy (Belated) New Year!

Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but this post is very difficult to write!  There's so much to say, and I can hardly put it all together in anything that could be called coherent.  Sorry!

Here goes nothing, as they say...

Kristin and I rang in 2010 much differently this year -- we camped out at Hotel St. Joe's in the maternity ward.  It was quite a party! 

When our babies were born, we expected a long road -- we expected lots of tubes, IV's, procedures and monitors, and we were told to hope to have our babies home by their actual due date -- February 1.  After they were transferred to St. Joe's, we realized that the date would probably be moved up, but we still expected mid-January at best.  Little did we know!

We got about 24 hours notice that we would start our 48-hour 'pajama party' on New Years Eve.  Most parents of children in the NICU are asked to "room in" with their baby (or in our case, babies) to make sure that everything goes well with feeding, changing, etc.  Blood work is completed and the babies are required to pass a car seat test, where they monitor their oxygen to ensure that they will be safe traveling. If everything goes well, the baby (babies) can come home. 

Much to our surprise, we were allowed to bring our babies home about 18 hours into our "test drive" - we had many people scrambling to get things organized - but with a lot of help, we brought our babies home to start 2010 off right - as a family.

It's quite a relief to have them home with us, though hard to put things together here on the blog; I just have so many thoughts floating around, and barely enough time to figure them all out. 

Sometimes it feels like a dream... then I wake up to my alarm quacking (yes, my alarm quacks) at 2am and I'm reminded of how real this is!  We have to feed our little babes every 3 hours, day and night.  Our routine runs smoothly, but takes time.  We start half an hour before they are supposed to eat - we wake them, change them, feed them, burp them, and then it's back to bed.  Working as a team, it still takes over an hour.  It makes for rough sleep - 90 minutes here, 90 minutes there, and cat naps when we can get them. 

But, even with little sleep, it's totally worth every minute, and we're so happy to have them (almost) settled in. 

There are also a lot of adjustments we have to make, having premature babies at home this early.  We've been carefully warned to hibernate as much as possible - to limit visitors (especially other children) and be very vigilant about the health of our helpers and visitors.  Our kid's are very susceptible to illness, and could land back in the NICU in a very short period of time, so we need to be very cautious for a few months, until they grow, build some immunities and strength.  They are still pretty small, after all - barely 5 pounds!  On that note, Teddy now weighs about 5lbs 4oz, Emma weighs 5lbs 1oz, and Joshua 4lbs 14ozs. 

So, while we are thrilled to share this good news with you all, we ask that you please be patient with us - we're still working on getting some family members in to meet our kids, and we're still getting our routine's in order.  Keeping 3 kids on a schedule is a challenge - we also have to sleep, eat, shower and manage our day-to-day stuff.  We appreciate your patience and understanding as we get settled.  Every day gets a little easier as we get used to new schedules and routines.  Next week, I'll have to return to work, which will add another layer of challenge.  We are very thankful for your continued prayers for us - and all of the practical support you've shown!  We have been very blessed! 

On top of it all, after months of carefully avoiding illness, Kristin (of all people) has come down with a bad cold.  The kids have picked it up, and we've been advised to limit visitors as much as possible, and to increase our hand washing and hygiene at home.  The babies are doing alright - we're battling the sneezing and stuffiness, but we certainly don't want them to get any worse!  We'll do our best to make sure that we get everyone in to meet our new additions, but we appreciate your patience!

I'll try to update again with some new pictures - proud papa thinks the babies are getting cuter every day!  I'll try to show off some pictures again soon!  Stay Tuned!


Anonymous said...

Welcome home Teddy, Joshua, and Emma!
Praise God, that is exciting news! We brought our girls home at 4lbs 4oz, and 4lbs 8oz, and had the 3 hour feed schedule too. It was trying with 2 (and 3 older kids), so I can imagine what you are going through. I still remember the night that we finally didn't have to set the alarm to wake them for the feed. I think we had to wait until they hit 7lbs before we let them sleep.
We continue to pray for all of you and know that God will work everything out in His perfect way. Lydia prayed last night for each baby by name and asked that God would grow them up to be men and a woman that loves Him. It brought tears to my eyes to hear her innocent child voice lift up your babes to the God of all creation.
Love you guys!!
Love the Ferrier 7!

Can't wait to see more pics.

Sue said...

Man... Paul. Every time I read your blog you make me cry! hee hee.

I was blown away to read on FB that you were home with the babies on the weekend and once again blown away by God's amazing goodness! PTL!!!!

Totally understand and hear what you're saying and I've told Marlene that whenever you guys say so, I'll be there with bells on, but I will wait for you to give me a green light. I want to respect the warning from the nurse so I'll be patient a little longer - hee hee.

While on that note... I am home on Tuesdays (all day) and Thursday afternoons so whenever you need help over there... let me know & I'll hop on the QEW and be there to help with whatever. How are you doing for meals this week? I'm finished work in March most likely so I'll be even more free to help Krissy with the kidlets!

Love you guys and praying for health for Krissy & protection for all of you ;-) xoxo

Aunt Lynda said...

I like Sue get tears in my eyes when I read your blogs. What a wonderful surprise to have them home already. You are all in our prayers each day and we will pray that everyone gets well very quickly. Please do not hesitate to call if there is anything that you need. We are all there for your family. Can not wait to meet my great nephews and great niece but agree with the fact that the fewer people that are there the better off you all are. Everyone wants to hold them but that is not a good idea. We send our love and prayers and wait to be able to come and meet your precious little ones. love you lots Aunt Lynda

Cathy W. said...

Hi Paul & Kristin and wecome home Teddy, Joshua & Emma!!! What a wonderful surprise to hear these sweeties came home so early!!! GOD IS GOOD!!! Still praying that God will heal Kristin's heart so that she won't need surgery. Will also keep present health of all in my prayers. Get well quick!!!

I was about to call you on Sat. - not ever sure when is a good time to call - now - I don't want to risk interupting any naps you are HOPEFULLY getting so I will let you know here that you are all daily in my prayers and very much loved!!! It is sometimes hard being down here - I would love to be able to help out and to meet in person your 3 precious children. I miss ALL of our family up north ( & south)!
Thank you again for your wonderful updates and PICURES in the midst of all your joys & duties!!! It helps us feel connected.

LOTS OF LOVE, Aunt Cathy

Amy said...

JUST AMAZING! What little miracles. It is incredible how well they have done and how well the two of you have done taking care of them! Praying that you get to wonderfully enjoy your babies through the hectic schedule and that all of your health is protected. Stay strong, Stimers'.